I think I was solely put in David’s life to help him overcome his phobia of people eating crunchy snacks. Did you know that is a thing?! I did a little research online and 20% of the population deals with misophonia, a strong dislike or hatred of certain sounds that can drive some people into a rage. I can’t say David has gone to the rage level yet, but I do see the occasional fight or flight come out if the crunching is too crunchy. Hehe. Somehow the whole thing makes me giggle. I happen to love all things crunchy…chips, celery, croutons. Doesn’t God have a funny sense of humor? We recently took a road trip and got the snacks out after an hour into our trip. If you’re like us, you start snacking because that’s the bonus of enduring a road trip with kids. Not because anyone is actually hungry an hour in. All of the crunching got me thinking about our favorite snacks. The ones we like to take on the go whether we’re headed to the pool, out of town, or something extra to add in Latham’s lunch box through the school year.
Here’s my list of our favorite snacks. The ones we rotate in and out of our pantry and keep coming back to. All on the healthier side but still with a lot of flavor. So if you’re a crunchy snacker like me or like a little chocolate instead like me, I’ve got you covered. I didn’t include any of our fruit and veggie regulars on this list like apples and peanut butter, ants on a log or clementines…all oldies but goodies.
I enlisted the help of a few friends and asked them for a handful of their favorite snacks too. With school starting up this week for a lot of kids, it’s always good to have a few new snacks to add to their bags.
- Perfect Bars are by far my favorite bar. You’ll find them in the refrigerator section of your grocery. They are the most expensive of the three but taste so good and have a fudge-like consistency. Don’t overthink the calories of this bar, it’s mainly from the peanut butter and the sugar is from honey. They each have a lot of protein so you can split them in half depending on how hungry you are. My husband swears by the peanut butter ones. I love the peanut butter and dark chocolate best. I usually try to find them on sale at Kroger or Wholefoods for 2/$4.00.
- (*Friend Pick*) Clif Bars come in several delicious flavors and have a great consistency. Available at most grocery stores.
- Larabars are my kid’s favorite bar option. A friend pick too. They only contain dates, chocolate chips, peanuts and salt. My kids are picky eaters and they don’t at all notice the dates. I pick these up at Target.
- This trail mix has the right balance of salty and sweet. I love the combination of nuts, dried fruits and dark chocolate. Available at Kroger.
- (*Friend Pick*) Another great trail mix option available at Trader Joe’s.
- (*Friend Pick*) I wasn’t sure if I should put these under the “crunchy” or “weird but so good” category. A must try!
- My favorite popcorn. My kids love the cheddar flavor but all of their flavors are really good.
- (*Friend Pick*) My girlfriend loves the Skinny Pop individual popcorn bags for on the go. Available at Costco.
- A step up from your generic graham crackers. They have the right amount of sweetness and my kids love that they are little sticks. Available at Kroger.
- Who knew my favorite cracker would be found in the diaper aisle? These are the most simple yet addicting cracker cookies. They remind me of a shortbread cookie. Available at Walmart and Target.
- Another great crunchy cracker option. This happens to be one we all fight over. They never seem to stay in the house long. They are like miniature peanut butter cookies. I usually pick them up at Kroger.
- The kids have fun dipping these pretzels into the almond butter. Available at Earthfare.
- The creamiest yogurt you will ever eat. If you at all like yogurt, you must try this brand. The vanilla is my favorite, but the strawberry is really good too!
- My husband’s favorite yogurt. We all actually really like the coffee flavor. It sounds weird, and I was skeptical before I tried it, but it’s really delicious and a perfect afternoon pick me up.
- I love these little chocolate fudge clusters. If you need a little sweet in the afternoon, this snack is one of my favorites. Their other flavors like vanilla and oatmeal raisen are really good too. Available at Wholefoods.
Weird but SO good:
- (*Friend Pick*) I recently picked these up after one of my girlfriend’s recommended it. This snack sounded weird enough that I thought I might really like it. She was right…these are ridiculously good. Try them if you haven’t. A perfect on the go snack that tastes a little like the girl scout samoas cookie. Available at Costco and Wholefoods.
- I spend way too much time trying to pick out every last dry mango in the bulk section of Wholefoods. Each batch is little different. I don’t like them too dry or too sweet, but when they are plump with a little tangy-ness, they are perfect. My In laws got us started on this delicious snack and we can’t stop.
- Jerky is the perfect snack on your way out the door…this is our favorite one.
These are all of my favorites! I hope you find a few new ones on the list to curb your afternoon cravings. What is your current favorite go to snack?